To troubleshoot a whirlpool side by side refrigerator, start by checking the power supply and ensuring the unit is properly plugged in and the outlet is functioning well.
Look for common issues like broken water dispensers, clogged air filters, and damaged ice makers that could contribute to the cooling problems before calling a professional for repairs.
Whirlpool side by side refrigerators are popular appliances in many homes. They are energy-efficient and provide ample storage space for fresh and frozen foods.
However, like any other appliance, they are prone to mechanical and electrical problems that can affect their performance.
How does a side by side refrigerator work?
A side-by-side refrigerator operates by utilizing a combination of cooling and freezing mechanisms to maintain different temperature zones for fresh and frozen food compartments. The appliance features two separate compartments, each with its own distinct function.
On one side, there is a refrigeration compartment that employs a compressor to circulate refrigerant gas. This gas absorbs heat from the interior of the compartment, cooling the air inside. The cooled air is then circulated to keep perishable items fresh. The temperature in this section typically ranges from 34 to 40 degrees Fahrenheit (4.44 °C).
On the other side, the freezer compartment operates similarly but maintains much lower temperatures. A separate evaporator coil is responsible for freezing the air inside this compartment. The temperature in the freezer section is typically set to be much colder, typically around 0 degrees Fahrenheit (-17.78 °C).
The side-by-side design allows for easy access to both compartments, with vertical separation. The refrigerator and freezer sections have their own doors, making it convenient to organize and retrieve items. The appliance uses a thermostat to monitor and regulate the temperatures in each compartment, ensuring optimal storage conditions for different types of food.
Common problems with whirlpool refrigerators
Like any other appliance, whirlpool side by side refrigerators are prone to break down or develop problems over time. Some of the most common issues that may arise include:
- Refrigerator is not cooling or not cold enough.
- Ice maker not making ice properly.
- Water dispenser not working.
- The fridge is making strange noises.
- The water is leaking from the refrigerator
If any of these issues occur, you can try fixing them yourself, or you can call a professional technician to help you troubleshoot the issue.
Some steps that you can try to include checking the power supply, checking the temperature settings, checking the water supply, and cleaning the coils.
Whirlpool side by side refrigerator not cooling
Check if the temperature settings are correct for both the refrigerator and freezer compartments. Ensure that the vents inside the compartments are not blocked by food items. Clean the condenser coils at the back of the refrigerator to improve heat exchange.
If the issue persists, it might be a malfunctioning thermostat or a problem with the refrigerant levels.
How to clean coils on whirlpool side by side refrigerator?
To clean the coils on a Whirlpool side-by-side refrigerator, follow these steps:
- Unplug the refrigerator to ensure safety during the cleaning process.
- Locate the coils. In a side-by-side refrigerator, the coils are usually located at the bottom or back of the appliance. Refer to the user manual for specific instructions.
- Use a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment to gently remove dust and debris from the coils. Ensure thorough cleaning by reaching into the spaces between the coils.
- For stubborn dirt or grime, you can use a coil cleaning brush or a soft brush to dislodge and remove the buildup.
- Wipe down the coils with a damp cloth to remove any remaining residue.
- Once the coils are clean, plug the refrigerator back in and allow it to cool to the desired temperature.
How Do I Fix A Whirlpool Side By Side Refrigerator That Isn’t Cooling Properly?
If your whirlpool side by side refrigerator isn’t cooling properly, first check the temperature control settings, make sure the door is closing completely, vacuum the coils, and clean the condenser fan. If none of these fixes work, it may be time to call a professional.
How to clean defrost drain on whirlpool refrigerator?
To clean the defrost drain on a Whirlpool refrigerator, follow these steps:
- Unplug the refrigerator to ensure safety during the cleaning process.
- Locate the defrost drain. It’s usually at the back of the freezer compartment or near the evaporator coils.
- Remove any items from the freezer to access the drain easily.
- Use a turkey baster or a syringe to squirt a mixture of hot water and mild detergent into the drain. This helps dissolve any ice or debris blocking the drain.
- Gently insert a pipe cleaner or a piece of flexible wire into the drain to clear any clogs. Be careful not to damage the drain tube.
- Once the drain is clear, flush it again with hot water to ensure thorough cleaning.
- Wipe down the interior of the freezer and replace any items you removed.
- Plug the refrigerator back in.
What Can Cause A Whirlpool Side By Side Refrigerator To Leak Water?
A whirlpool side by side refrigerator can leak water due to a clogged defrost drain, a faulty water inlet valve, a cracked water filter housing, or blocked drain tubes. Check and clean each component to determine the source of the problem.
Whirlpool side by side refrigerator ice maker not working
Check if the water supply to the refrigerator is connected and functioning properly. Ensure that the water inlet valve is not clogged or malfunctioning. Additionally, inspect the ice maker itself for any visible issues such as jammed cubes.
Why Is My Whirlpool Side By Side Refrigerator Making Loud Noises?
Loud noises coming from a whirlpool side by side refrigerator can be caused by a faulty evaporator fan motor, a blocked airflow, or a malfunctioning condenser fan. Check these components and replace any damaged parts to resolve the issue.
How Do I Reset My Whirlpool Side By Side Refrigerator?
To reset a whirlpool side by side refrigerator, first unplug it from the power source for at least 30 seconds, then plug it back in and wait for the control panel to light up. Make sure the temperature settings are at the recommended level and wait for the fridge to reset itself.
How Often Should I Clean My Whirlpool Side By Side Refrigerator?
It’s recommended to clean your whirlpool side by side refrigerator every 3-6 months to prevent the buildup of bacteria, odors, and mold. Clean the interior with warm soapy water and wipe down the exterior with a damp cloth. Don’t forget to vacuum the coils and clean the condenser fan as well.
By following these simple steps and tips, you can troubleshoot your whirlpool side-by-side refrigerator and solve any issues that may arise. From checking the power supply to defrosting over time, understanding the common problems and their solutions will save you money on costly repairs.
Remember to clean and maintain your appliance regularly to ensure its longevity and optimal performance. Utilizing the customer service resource provided by whirlpool can also aid in resolving issues that cannot be resolved through simple troubleshooting.
Overall, keeping your whirlpool side-by-side refrigerator in good condition involves diligence and attention to detail, but with these guidelines, maintaining your appliance will be a breeze.
Here’s to a happy and fully functioning refrigerator!